Peer Support Core of the Michigan CDTR
Peer Support Core of the Michigan Center for Diabetes Translational Research
The UNC–UM Peer Support Core is designed to foster rigorous translational research on peer support in diabetes prevention and management (support and encouragement delivered by nonprofessionals through diverse settings and modalities). The Core is responsive to the dramatic increase in research utilizing peer support as a strategy for diabetes prevention and management and the presence of unusual strength in peer support research at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (Peers for Progress, Dr. Fisher and colleagues) and at the University of Michigan (Dr. Heisler and colleagues). As a national translational research core, the UNC–UM Peer Support Core networks with other CDTR researchers and those at other universities interested in or doing research using peer support. The Core also works closely with The Curtis Center for Health Equity Research and Training in the University of Michigan School of Social Work to leverage community, peer, and family supports in diabetes translational research.
The Peer Support Core is one of four cores at the Michigan Center for Diabetes Translational Research (the others being Administration, Methods and Measurement, and Intervention and Technology Research). The cores support innovative adaptations of evidence-based approaches to diabetes prevention and control that can be widely disseminated to positively impact clinical and community practice.
Specific Aims of the Core
|To provide investigators with access to expertise and resources on peer support in order to promote innovative research that will accelerate the adoption and dissemination of effective and cost-effective peer support interventions.|
|To provide investigators technical assistance and training in peer support program development, implementation, evaluation, training, and quality improvement.|
|To strengthen the networking between investigators at Michigan, UNC Chapel Hill, and other universities doing research in or interested in research utilizing peer support.|
Key Services of the Core
- Consultation to researchers, research projects at the University of Michigan, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and nationally
- Webinars on key themes in the field and for early career investigators and investigators seeking feedback to present works in progress
- Core Resources – Tools for Evaluation, Program Development, and Training
- Weekly Tuesday Tips: Subscription information and Archive of latest publications and other materials of interest
- Annual Working Research Conferences on Key Topics in Peer Support in Diabetes